Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Embroidery Is Here!

Remember Najla, the Orthodox Christian Palestinian lady from Bethlehem who hosted me during my trip?  She used to be a tour guide until the "security barrier" went up, but lost her position because she can't get through the wall on a dependable basis to work.  Instead, she and her daughter and several other ladies support themselves in part by doing embroidery.  The finished works are sent to the market for sale to the tourists, which means she generally has to share the proceeds of her work with someone who has better access to Jerusalem; but she is happy to do special orders and is completely capable of shipping her work to the US or wherever else it is requested.  She even takes checks!

While we were visiting, I noticed a beautiful wall hanging in red with Arabic script.  Najla explained that it was the Lord's Prayer in Arabic, and I thought it would be the perfect thing to bring back to my church as a reminder of the Palestinians and their tragic situation.  However, my roommate thought the same thing and was a bit faster than me, which means that red banner is now hanging in her church.  Still, Najla was happy to make another especially for me, and gave me the opportunity to request mine in blue.


While I was at it, I also requested a "pencil case" which is perfect for holding my sunglasses, and a few other things.  Her work is just beautiful, as you can see; and given that Najla is a grandmother, I can't help but be impressed that she has the eyesight to do this tiny, perfect kind of work.  The designs are of a traditional style, but the individual patterns come from her own creativity.

After we left Najla's home, I had the inspiration to e-mail her with a request for a liturgical stole.  I'd been thinking I wanted to bring one home from Jerusalem or Bethlehem, but never quite saw the right one in the shops.  I told Najla I wanted it in green (the longest season on the liturgical calendar) so I could wear it for as long as possible.  Beyond that, I left the design completely up to her.  She wrote back to say she'd go buy the fabric in the morning, and the price would be the same as the (much simpler) stoles available in the markets.

Last Friday, I received the package in the mail - less than 3 weeks after I mailed her my personal check.  I received all the items I requested, plus a few other small items that she threw in as a gift.  They are all beautiful!

As I said, Najla is trying to support herself and her family with this work.  Her household includes her husband (retired), her mother in law (disabled), and a steady stream of visiting grandchildren (adorable).  Given her situation, patronizing her embroidery business would seem to me to be the ultimate "fair trade" shopping.  If you'd like her contact information, just send me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment